Pages

Hello, world!

  Hi! I'm Leah, and these are my two horses, Pyro (left) and Missy (right). As a fledgling blogger, I plan to share our adventures, mish...

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Lesson Recap - 7/23/24: I've created a monster...

 First, a quick recap to set the scene: 

This week, Pyro and I have been focused on figuring out the gymnastic grid our friend Mary set up for us. 

First attempt at the grid ending in an oxer!

It consisted of 4 trot poles, a couple bounces, then a 1 stride, and the goal was to encourage him to sit back, keep his stride consistent, and not launch from the long spot. Honestly, I was incredibly impressed with how he handled it. 

He truly seems to enjoy it

Yes, each ride he had to try bouncing the 1 stride...

REGERTS

...but for the most part he read it very well, and he approached it in a very businesslike, unbothered way. Even raising the fences or making crossrails into verticals, etc., was met with confidence and enthusiasm. 
And very cute knees

Pyro has clearly learned how to use his body over fences, pushing off with both hinds and arching over the fence with tidy knees. Sometimes he even agrees on an appropriate take-off spot! 

Now, back to our lesson this week:

As I recapped our week to coach JT, we agreed that a good skill to work on as I thought about getting him back in the dressage ring was Pyro's balance. He tends to throw his shoulders right (regardless of direction) and careen around turns. 

JT loves the shape of his neck with the freshly roached mane.

We started by riding a square (about half the arena), making sure he bent his ribcage around my inside leg, first at the walk, then progressing to the trot. Both directions, I had to make sure his head stayed in front of his chest and he didn't bow out his right shoulder. This was clearly a difficult ask for him (my right leg got a workout), but eventually he mastered keeping his balance through those tight corners. 

Note that the grid with oxer was still clearly set up (foreshadowing)

As we transitioned the exercise into the canter, it was clear he was having difficulty balancing his body through the turns. He tried to ignore my right leg, dropping his shoulder in as we turned right. To help communicate the idea to him, we switched to cantering the straight sides of the square, then transitioning to trot through the corners, and right back up into canter. 

Visual representation of Pyro's inner monologue during this exercise

Remember how baby dragon has learned how to use his body over fences? With that new skill unlocked (and the grid RIGHT THERE), he decided to try it as an answer, launching himself straight up as I'd ask him to canter WITHOUT being allowed to push on my hands and flip his head in the air (his fav evasion technique). 

Example of the acrobatics in question. I have never been more sad to miss getting theatrics on video. 

One such leap nearly unseated me, but I managed to avoid parting ways with him, rode him through it, and convinced him the right answer to my question was to go FORWARD, not UP. I was very thankful for my silicone full seat breeches. 😅

JT: "It's a good thing you're a good rider!"... "also that your husband was there..."

Until recently, I've not asked either horse to really give me that much control over not just where we're going and at what gait, but also HOW we are going. Being on the contact without pushing, keeping his shoulders up and centered, bending his ribcage, all while doing transitions in rapid succession... it was rightfully a lot for Pyro to handle. JT coached me through letting the exercise school him, just like he would learn from knocking a pole in the jump grid when choosing to bounce the one stride. He pretty quickly sorted out organizing his body and listening to my cues for guidance, giving some really lovely bending corners to end on. 

You can't deny that this absolute goofball is athletic

While this lesson had tough moments for both of us, I feel like it included some discussions Pyro and I needed to have. Yes, I LOVE that he's learning to use his body and growing in strength. No, I'm not asking for airs above ground on the flat (A for effort though). Yes, he can learn to bend and balance his body that way. No, behaviors like leaping into the air or flipping his nose aren't the answers I'm looking for. 
Will smile for cookies

As he's just a 5 year old, I don't think it's unusual for him to be questioning and testing me as I try to build his work ethic. Hopefully, I won't have to ride him through too many more acrobatics in the near future. (Please don't let that be foreshadowing!)

He worked hard, so he got his new soy-free cookie cubes and a liniment rub

Building the relationship of mutual trust with Pyro that I want to have has been difficult for me. I want him to trust me to guide him, and I want to trust that he'll look out for me too. His personality is so different from his mother's, so I've had to really walk the fine line of "hey, I want to be your friend" and "don't be a dangerous, pushy @#$%". He is 100% play driven, and it can get us into trouble. It's clear to me that as he builds strength and gains confidence in his body, our relationship is even more important than ever. 

Use that booty for good, not evil, please.

Hopefully, I can make flatwork with me as fun and interesting for him as jumping has become for my little monster. In the meantime, I'll continue to reward his tries and strive to show him when and what type of play is acceptable. 

6 comments:

  1. excited to learn about your blog from Jen, Pyro looks lovely and what a story you two have had!! i'm with you on trying to walk that fine line between giving my greenie space to become trustworthy, without totally enabling her to take over... some days are harder than others LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, Pyro keeps me on my toes, but I love the little glimmers of brilliance that occasionally shine through.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you write about Pyro! He's clearly got a big personality, and his faces and acrobatics are incredible, please keep those coming!

    I appreciate the way you talk about walking the line between being his friend and his partner - it's easy with young horses to just be their pal, but harder to set those strong boundaries where there's a core of trust, not just fun and snacks. It's a line I'm walking with my two year old right now too from a groundwork perspective. Excited to keep reading about Missy and Pyro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here's hoping we both can lay the groundwork (pun intended) for healthy relationships with our youngsters!

      Delete
  3. Just found you via Jen's blog, and am excited to follow along! Your horses are so lovely, and it sounds like you've had quite the adventure with them both.

    ReplyDelete