Pages

Hello, world!

  Hi! I'm Leah, and these are my two horses, Pyro (left) and Missy (right). As a fledgling blogger, I plan to share our adventures, mish...

Friday, July 19, 2024

Lesson Recap - 7/16/24: Let's get to work, Miss!

 I've been taking virtual lessons from Jen Truett (JT) of Dancing Horse Farm for coming up on 3 years now. She is a USDF FEI "B" Certified Instructor who competes with her Grand Prix horse, Absolute Dream (aka "Dreamy"). To say her coaching has been transformational for me is an understatement, and we got to meet for a virtual lesson for the first time in a few weeks. 

JT and Dreamy

The day prior, I had learned Missy was still not in foal this year, despite our attempts, so I decided to saddle her up for the lesson instead of Pyro for the first time in a long while.

Very much in heat, much to my disappointment.

During breeding season, she had gotten walk work and been turned out on a hill, but that was about it (except for one very brief chance to free jump). I was focusing on maintaining fitness while keeping stress to a minimum.  

She loves to jump, so we compromised with very few, very small jumps.

No longer worried about trying to guard a delicate maybe-baby, I wanted JT's opinion on Missy's fitness level and appropriate skills to work on. Since Miss is 22 years old, we do a lot of her dressage training as a sort of physical therapy, helping her stay strong, straight, even, and supple despite her arthritis and old patterns of movement. I want to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as possible. 

Sometimes just standing square while eating is a win.

After a long walk warm-up, Miss felt ready to go to work in her new-to-us WOW saddle and iconic rainbow gear.

Life is short. Buy the saddle pad.

JT was happy to see her and thought she looked great right off the bat (especially her lush tail that I've been keeping bagged).

Worth the time and money spent on hair products.

It was the first time JT had seen us in the WOW saddle, and despite me having it adjusted a little pommel high, she liked the position it put me in. As she coached me through asking Miss to bring her shoulders up and left, bend her rib cage around my right leg, and step under herself with her right hind (all straightness issues stemming from my own crookedness), she asked if I had lost some weight and commented that I looked "solid" in the saddle, with much better muscle tone. This is a huge improvement for me and something I've been working hard on!

The following ride, feeling secure and confident.

I really feel my CrossFit workouts and changes in diet in the past month have made the difference here. In CrossFit, especially the Olympic Lifting class, my focus has been on good biomechanics throughout the movements. Diet-wise, I've been keeping my carbohydrate intake under 150g per day and making sure to get 130-150g protein per day. I've started slowly, but steadily, losing weight instead of gradually putting it on like I have been for a few years. I've also gained a lot of strength, stamina, and proprioception in the areas of my core and hamstrings, which has a direct impact on my stability in the saddle. As someone with joint hypermobility AND an extra lumbar vertebra, I tend to just "hang off my joints" with little to no tone. For me, this leads to tight hip flexors and lower back with an anterior pelvic tilt. This lesson was the first where I felt I could easily keep my pelvis neutral the entire ride. 

Putting in the work OUT of the saddle.

Missy, as usual, tried hard to understand and do what I was asking of her. However, she got a little emotional in response to me controlling not only our direction and speed, but HOW she was stepping and carrying her body. It was a lot of constraint for her to deal with after not being in true work for so long. 


The following ride, asking for her shoulders to come up and left.

She required frequent breaks to "shake it out" and let the tension go. As I bring her back into work, I'm going to have to pay close attention to her emotional state, allowing her opportunities to regulate her emotions in between exercises. I'm sure she'll build that skill just like she would a muscle, increasing her emotional resillience, but I want her to enjoy her "job" as we start working together once more. 

The following ride, letting go of tension.


She felt so good that she tried to take off with me the first time I asked for the canter! Despite my cues to return to trot, she gleefully cantered down the long side, very pleased with herself. I couldn't help but laugh right along with her. This spicy mare brings so much joy to my life. 

I don't think I've every laughed so much during a lesson.


JT's assessment was that she looks great, moving through all her joints evenly, and seems ready to work in earnest again. I'm feeling physically fit and more capable of riding her than when she went on her vacation at the stud. Together, the two of us are ready for more adventures, and I'm trying to see the disappointment of Missy not being in foal as a blessing in disguise. Let's get to work, Miss!


2 comments:

  1. Ah horses, she made it too easy for you the first time and of course you couldn't be so lucky with baby #2. Glad you made the best of it with a good lesson, and I'll keep my fingers crossed if you're trying to breed her again this year or next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! While there's the opportunity to try again next year, I'm going to seriously evaluate whether it would be the best choice for Missy as she's not getting any younger.

      Delete