Pages

Hello, world!

  Hi! I'm Leah, and these are my two horses, Pyro (left) and Missy (right). As a fledgling blogger, I plan to share our adventures, mish...

Monday, August 12, 2024

Indiana Dressage Festival 2024

 This weekend Pyro and I loaded up and headed the 30 minutes north to the Hoosier Horse Park for the Indiana Dressage Society (IDS) Indy Dressage Fest, a rated show. We typically only attend schooling shows, but they thankfully offered Opportunity classes so we could get the rated show experience without all the extra fees. In spite of being a rated show, this weekend was one of the most fun experiences showing Pyro I've ever had.

Good baby horse traveled very well

We lucked out with incredible weather (upper 70s and sunny) and early afternoon ride times both days. While having too much time on my hands can be bad for my anxiety, we weren't rushed, and I was able to enact the plans I had for preparing both of us. 

These plans included seltzers for me and lunging/hand walking/grazing for Pyro

On day 1, when I took Pyro to the warm-up to lunge, he was respectful and quiet, but he was holding his little mouth SO tight. I asked him to work through some transitions in an unhurried way, letting him soak in the atmosphere (looking, listening, sniffing...), until he relaxed and returned his attention to me. While ring 3 (where we would later show) was on break, I received permission to hand walk and graze him in the grassy area surrounding the ring. He settled in well and even laid down for a nap once we returned to his stall.

Do Not Disturb

Unfortunately, I had to commit a felony, asking him to get up from his nap to get ready to show. He obliged with only a little side eye and proceeded to happily enjoy his lick-it through being groomed and tacked. 
An excellent pacifier

I had some butterflies early in the day, but by the time we entered the warm-up, we were both pretty relaxed and focused. After a 10 minute hack around the show grounds, we worked through some transitions and headed down to the ring right on time. I made the conscious effort to keep him in work from the warm-up ring to the show ring after having him lose concentration last show when I let him mosey down on the buckle. I think this really kept him more mentally "with me", and we proceeded to put in a much more relaxed test than ever before. Our main bobbles happened when he hollowed during upward transitions and didn't keep his balance during downward transitions, but I surprised myself by smiling through the entire test and ENJOYING showing my young horse! 

A smile on my face and a swinging stride from Pyro

The judge provided a score of 64.615% and very actionable feedback that I'll definitely be taking back for my "homework". His overall comment was: "Attractive and kind horse. Well ridden. Work to supple the topline using more half halts for balance and roundness, especially during transitions." 

Very happy with my boy

In addition to this praise and very constructive criticism, he called Pyro "obedient"... TWICE.
Photo Evidence

All in all, day 1 went exactly as planned, and we smashed our goals of both being relaxed and prepared. I was so happy with him and excited to do it again the next day, with plans to implement some improvements in my riding of the test. I wanted to give Pyro the same relaxed ride while 1) keeping my shoulders back over my hips better, 2) setting him up for transitions better, and 3) asking him to stay more supple and balanced throughout.

It was a wonderful show experience for us both.

We headed back to the stable and hung out with my cheering squad. I was blessed to have my husband and parents there to enjoy the afternoon with me. Mom, Dad, and Malhon have always been 100% supportive of my riding goals, and we all got to unwind together as Pyro tucked into his hay. 


Dad and Malhon enjoying a meal at our stall

Chatting post ride with my Momma

Once we were left to our own devices again, Pyro and I spent some quality time hand walking around the ring we'd show in the next day and grazing where he could get a good look at everything. 

Pinto Mowing Services

I knew he was used to being turned out overnight, so I let him wander and graze for a good long while, then tucked him in with plenty of hay, deep bedding, and fresh water. He drank well overnight and managed to not get any green spots from lying down in his stall!

Still clean and shiny! No purple shampoo required!

The morning of day 2 arrived, and Pyro was ready to PARTY after being stalled all night. He entered full Baby Gelding Mode and insisted that if he wasn't touching me he would die. I quickly got him fed, then marched him down to the warm-up to lunge and get the shenanigans out of his system. Much to my dismay, as soon as I asked him to start going out on a circle, my "obedient son" became an overly playful kite and I FUMBLED THE LUNGE LINE. Starting a chorus of "loose hoooooorse!!", I followed as quickly as I could while Pyro gleefully galloped to the other end of the ring. Thankfully, that's all that happened. He stopped at the other end, didn't approach any other horses or riders, and was quickly caught by a ring steward. 

Of course there are no photos of this, so enjoy this photo of what got me through the mortification.

As I did my walk of shame to retrieve Pyro, I caught a snide remark outside the warm-up about how only horses under saddle should be allowed there. While this ramped up my embarrassment, if there had been a separate area available to lunge in (rather than the designated end of the warm-up) where we would've been less of a disturbance, I would have used it. After the fact, one of the very kind show organizers came and offered me the option of lunging in ring 3, which wasn't in use that day. Pyro had settled considerably, but I took the strong suggestion anyway, removing us from the possibility of distracting the other teams. I took a moment to let him hand graze while I regulated my anxiety, then walked a very quiet baby horse down to ring 3. He lunged with zero shenanigans, and we returned to our stall with no further drama. Regardless, lesson learned. Next time I have to stable him overnight at a show, I'll give him the chance to hand walk and graze well away from everyone else before sending him out on the lunge line, especially if there's no separate lunging area. Plus, I'll be more organized with my lunge line to handle my playful boy. 


Throwback to a prior party/alien abduction

My ride time day 2 was a little later in the day, so I started going through my routine to settle my nerves, which includes visualizing riding through my test and doing stretching and breathing exercises.

Letting go of tension

 When the time came, we saddled up and headed to the warm-up... only to return due to a rider fall halting the show. Thankfully they walked it off, and once the show restarted, we heading back to the ring... only for ANOTHER rider to fall. Unfortunately this one took a trip in the ambulance for x-rays, but it sounded like they were going to be okay as well. Again, the show started back up, and we started warming up for the THIRD time. He offered me some quiet, steady work, but unfortunately started falling behind my leg a bit. After so many starts and stops, I'm pretty sure he felt he was done for the day, but I did my best to ask him to be responsive and in front of my leg considering I didn't have spurs on. (We haven't been having that discussion recently at home, so I've left them off lately.) 

Pyro: "Are we really doing this again? If you say so..."

Once we entered the ring (in front of TWO judges for the first time!), he allowed me to ride him to the best of our current ability, only getting a little sluggish in the walk work. He was quiet and focused, and I really enjoyed the horse I was on. We earned a 63.750% (less than a percent difference from the day prior), and I was once again smiling the whole time. 

Having FUN doing dressage!

The judge at E was the same judge from C on day 1, and it was interesting to get his comments from the different perspective. His comments were overall in agreement with what he had said the day before, and the judge at C also had some lovely constructive criticism, including "good effort, some nice moments, keep working on developing some feel for correct connection to hind legs". Considering last show most of our comments included remarks on how fussy and lacking in freedom of movement he was, it's clear that we've made some huge progress since then. (Additionally, our scores for the same test improved 2-4%.)
I don't care that we were the only ones in our class, he's a winner in my eyes. (And blue is certainly his color.)

My husband (who arrived at my original warm up time) commented that in spite of many things not going to plan (Pyro getting loose, warm-up getting pushed back repeatedly), I was resilient and took it in stride, rather than getting anxious and upset like I probably would have done before. I hadn't thought about it yet, but it was a huge improvement in my mindset at a show. I think it's safe to say my plan for tackling show anxiety was a huge success. 

What a hunk

Additionally, while I definitely learned the hard way about what Pyro needs from me at a show, he was much more relaxed and confident. Having a quiet, willing partner makes showing so much fun! 

I enjoyed just hanging out with him.

As I reflect and unpack the weekend, something that struck me is I'm finally appreciating Pyro for who he is. I didn't realize how much my relationship with Missy was coloring my expectations of him. He has a very different personality, and it's unfair of me to expect him to learn, react, and interact the way Missy does. While I still consider myself a "mare person", this young gelding is blossoming into the partner I hoped for when I bred Miss. I'm proud of my homebred, spicy pinto, and I appreciate the lessons in horsemanship he has taught me. Party on!

Bonus: Glow up from two years ago to this weekend.



8 comments:

  1. This sounds like the most amazing experience! Well done! Re: the lunging, been there :) They weren't prepared for anyone to even want to lunge and remarks were made, but it was still infinitely safer than me riding said baby dragon with everyone lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That's a great point! To Pyro's credit, we didn't part ways later in the day, whereas some other less fortunate riders did.

      Delete
  2. congrats, sounds on an awesome weekend all around -- esp with the great scores, learnings about how to help Pyro do his best, and overall resilience despite some little hiccups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I agree it was good for both of us. :)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful weekend! He really is beautiful, and you've done a great job figuring out a plan and executing it.
    If it makes you feel any better, my stallion got loose from me at a very large horse show once. It ended fine, but we absolutely disrupted the entire horse show. I'm still embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg he has hulked out. What a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right?! He had such a long "hide him behind the barn" phase that I was starting to lose hope, lol.

    ReplyDelete