Pages

Hello, world!

  Hi! I'm Leah, and these are my two horses, Pyro (left) and Missy (right). As a fledgling blogger, I plan to share our adventures, mish...

Friday, August 16, 2024

Lesson Recap - 8/13/2024: Everything, All At Once

 As per usual, this first lesson following the show was a debrief, and the talented Coach JT helped us fix the crux of our issues from both tests in 30 minutes flat. Transitions.

Hollowing from halt into trot

Dumping onto forehand in canter to trot

There were many comments through both tests regarding our transitions, saying Pyro hollowed or needed better preparation and balance. The judges wanted to see him softer over his topline and steadier in the contact. 

Hollowing trot to canter

Almost every transition between gaits had some sort of bobble. When I said I wanted to focus on improving this, JT asked me what I was doing to prepare him for transitions. Thinking it through, I responded I would give him a half halt, soften him a little with inside hand and leg, then ask for the transition itself.  I didn't really know what else I should be doing to better prepare him. 

Loss of balance in canter to trot 

She coached me to really think about riding every stride in a way that felt like any movement was available to us at any time. I needed to make sure every step of walk was active and balanced enough that we could halt, trot, canter, turn, etc. at any point. I often let Pyro (and myself) get sucked into a "trot daze", where he is surprised by my cues to change what he's doing. I need to cultivate anticipation in him in such a way that he's ready for everything, all at once, but waiting for me to tell him which direction we're choosing. 



Hollowing and bowing right shoulder in trot to canter

One of our biggest bobbles of the show was the transition up into right lead canter. He not only hollowed but dove in with his right shoulder. While we've had issues with him bowing his shoulder right, I was not ready for this response in the test. I immediately applied more inside leg and a little sponging of the inside rein, and he recovered quickly.

Quickly recovered

This pattern of movement became very clear during our lesson when we switched directions to tracking right. He not only bowed his shoulder in, but he also wanted to take charge of what we were doing, often trying to break into canter without me asking. I had to recalibrate my proprioception and really bend his rib cage around my right leg until the base of his neck pressed into my left rein. Once we got the proper bend, I could provide quieter cues and easily flow between gaits with smooth transitions. 


No photos from during the lesson, but here's my cutie after our cool down hack.

I feel so privileged to have access to JT's instruction, especially when she can make such a big change in my riding in such a short time. I left the lesson feeling well equipped with the tools we needed to ride a better test next time we stepped in the show ring.

He rode well in the Winderen semi-flexi bit.

As this is Pyro's 5-year-old year, I've been bracing myself for baby horse opinions. Yes, we've had a few discussions here and there, but all in all I'm been amazed at how he has matured mentally and physically. Of late, I've really felt like our partnership is blossoming, and I think our mutual trust and respect had a growth spurt. I'll admit, there was a time I considered selling him as I felt we weren't really "clicking". However, I'm thankful he's mine and we get to play and learn together. 

Famous Last Words

I'll be keeping this lesson in mind during every ride going forward, applying it to my jumping and western rides as well. We'll be flowing like a river through its bank together in no time. 

Happy Place

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really great lesson and a productive way to tackle the issues you had at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I struggled for ages with Cisco wanting to dump to the right in that transition. One exercise that helped us was doing canter transitions on a smaller circle, ideally walk/canter, and in a corner. It gave us a barrier and made him sit back versus falling through the shoulder and dumping onto his forehand.
    But I had to think about it for every transition for years. I think it was also a strength thing as he was weaker on his left hind.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to try that (or a variation). The next ride after this lesson I worked on establishing the bend and keeping his shoulder up on a small trot circle, then picking up the canter from there, and it helped. Part of it stems from me being crooked, and only recently finding my right seatbone.

      Delete