Pages

Hello, world!

  Hi! I'm Leah, and these are my two horses, Pyro (left) and Missy (right). As a fledgling blogger, I plan to share our adventures, mish...

Thursday, September 26, 2024

September 2024: A change of pace

I can't believe this month is almost over. As with all of life, it has had both ups and downs.  I've not had as much saddle time as I normally would (only 7 rides in September so far!) due to struggling with both physical and mental health a bit more than usual. I overdid it at CrossFit a couple times (easy to do as I challenge myself) and have been hit hard with PMS as I try to deal with PCOS/unbalanced hormones. 

This month has been a dry one as well.

That being said, I've still made time to interact with Miss and Pyro as much as I can (often ground work or lunging), and I've leaned on the support of my husband and barn family. 

Pyro regretting the day I met Kate Little... because now he can't get away with pecking order challenges.

Connecting with the horses and humans who are important to me has been the highlight of this month, and it's definitely more than just a silver lining of slowing down a little bit.

Spotty critters definitely included

Missy's arthritis has been an off and on problem still since her right front pastern injection. She has good days and bad, but I try to keep her moving regardless.

Motion is the lotion

On her good days, I'm able challenge her a little either on the ground or in the saddle to improve her fitness and biomechanics.

Encouraging her to bend through her body and flex through her joints on the lunge

She seems to be enjoying the retired life (especially going for hacks in the sunset), but I've also burst her bubble a little bit with ground work guided by Kate. 

She has always been the most tolerant mare... but maybe not the most respectful. This day I saddled her but never swung a leg over because we started to have a conversation on the ground. She was not impressed, but she WAS more attentive. 

Missy after I ask her to be soft and responsive and respectful: "this is bull$#@!"

Thankfully, I was able to balance that out with pony rides, which she seems to really enjoy. Some of my friends' kids got to enjoy her on the leadline, and one little boy in particular giggled the whole time. 

The queen lives to be doted on, and she knows when she has littles on her back.

Pyro is quite sure that he's all that and a bag of chips this month, especially as we start to see some cooler mornings. I'm still blown away by how much he is maturing physically and mentally.

Mary helped me guide him through a free jump chute with a 6'6" spread oxer. This inflated his ego so much I was amazed his head fit through the barn door. 

That said, he's still definitely a baby in a lot of ways, and we're feeling out how to balance and work together in a way that includes mutual respect and excludes bracing against one another.

Lots of "advanced leading"...

...and backing have been needed.

In the 4 times I've ridden him this month, I've focused on asking him to fit me and match my seat without me having to pull on his mouth (which always causes him to retract his neck). We've got a long way to go, but I think we're heading in the right direction.

Although he's still very talented at being a llama

While I don't have much photo evidence, I've really enjoyed the opportunities to just hang out with my barn mates the past few weeks. I've gotten to sit with Mary and Jen to provide moral support as Eva learns about standing tied, help ensure Connor's western cinch was done up correctly so they could pony Eva, talk through the woes of figuring out why picky horses won't eat their hay with Trish, acknowledge the peace of quite mornings in the stable with Deb, and grin along with Sandra as she finds joy in learning Connor's buttons.

Eva learning about the wall of truth and patience

As the show season comes to a close, I'm thankful to have a chance to listen to my body and change gears, enjoying my horses with no goals or pressures besides continuing to grow together and be the best horsewoman I can be. The stable is a place I can celebrate with others on my good days and find solace on my bad ones. May we all be so lucky to find that in our lives with horses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment