July Pyro Update: A Parting of Ways
After last month's positive update, July unfolded in a rather surprising and unfortunate way for Pyro and me. I'm still digesting everything that has happened, so you'll get the short version.
Shortly after I returned from Pony Cup with Nova, Pyro crossed a line with an incident of particularly aggressive behavior towards a co-op member in the pasture. Fortunately, she wasn't injured, just understandably scared. I immediately removed him from the herd and became his sole handler while working with a team of vets (both locally and at OSU) to determine if there was a medical reason for this behavior. We completed all the diagnostics I could afford to rule out anything that could impact his behavior (short of an MRI to scan for a brain tumor). His results all came back clean.
![]() |
| A beautiful start to a long couple days of trailering |
As a last ditch effort, I have dropped him off with a trainer who was recommended to me by a friend. He's known for turning around behavioral cases, and he was willing to work with Pyro knowing his full history. My friends who owned Pyro's sire are interested in giving him a home if the trainer is successful. I'm hopeful that with a change of environment, he can be someone else's dream horse. However, it's clear to me that he's not going to be the horse I want or need him to be. To give all of us here at the co-op peace, it's time for Pyro to start the next chapter of his life.
![]() |
| Wishing you luck, buddy |




.jpg)
So sorry. You really did give him everything you could, and this must be hard, but you have to do what's right for you and brings you peace <3
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteUgh what a difficult situation to confront. I commend you for making the choice tho. We can never really know what would/could/should happen, and it’s especially hard after you’ve been loving investing hoping dreaming and advocating for this horse his whole life… and obvi he’ll never really understand that either… but you have to make the right choices for yourself first and foremost, and especially if things are getting risky or dangerous, we have to be clear eyed about what horses are actually capable of. My thoughts are with you, and wishing pyro a successful transition into his next chapter.
ReplyDeleteThanks, yeah, it's definitely hard to come to this conclusion with one I bred and raised in hopes of being "mine".
DeleteOh my gosh, what a lot to process for sure. As Emma and Firn said, you did absolutely everything you could for/with him including making this final decision. I'm glad he has his sire's (former?) owner as a place to go, wishing him best of luck in his next chapter.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm grateful to have a home lined up for him. They lost his sire years ago to a freak pasture accident and have followed along with Pyro's development this whole time.
DeleteTough choice, but the right one for him. You did EVERYTHING and more! It could be that he needs a different environment for his personality. My former horse, Pyro’s twin, went through five owners in 7 years before I got him. He had been horrible for all of them, and they told me their bad stories…after I’d already fallen in love with him. I was the right person at the right time with the right set up. I hope Pyro finds that too! Keep us updated on how his training goes!
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm truly hoping that a change in environment will make the difference for him.
DeleteThis is such a difficult decision, and I give you so much credit/kudos for it. I know it's hard when your brain does "the wouldve couldve shouldves" spin cycle, but I give you so much kudos for taking your time with him in a way that you made sure you checked every single box to ensure it wasn't a hasty decision. At the end of the day, you have to make the right choice for your peace and safety, and then those around you. I hope nothing but the best for Pyro and wish him well on his next chapter, and I am sending you virtual hugs <3
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteUgh I’m so sorry. You’ve tried so hard. I’m glad you had the vet check so you can rule out the physical. I’m sure this was really difficult decision but I believe it’s for the best.
ReplyDeleteThanks, and I agree it's the best choice for him AND me.
DeleteOh, my. I have felt "stuck" with my horse and he has been challenging for me but he's never been dangerous. It must be especially hard to give him up when you bred him and have known him from day 1. Missy has such a sweet temperament! You were rightly expecting similar in Pyro. You have done the right thing by him at every step- and the best decisions are rarely easy. I hope Pyro finds his perfect situation and you enjoy your mares for many years to come.
ReplyDeleteThank you, yes, I am grateful to have my girls, who bring me so much joy.
DeleteFuckin' hell. Got no other words. Thinkin' about you.
ReplyDelete(Well, I do, but I've shared those with you already.)
Oh I can only imagine how hard this is for you. You've given him every chance and done all the work. Sending you all the positive vibes to help your heart. You're making the right decision for the both of you. Horses can really break your heart though.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the truth. Thank you
Delete