As the Dust Settles

 I don't know how else to start this post except by saying it has been a couple of long, stressful months. As the dust settles, I finally have the capacity to sit down and try to type out an update.

Pyro working with the trainer, who had a lot of good things to say about him.

This past weekend, Pyro officially settled into his new home with my friends, Rob and Alison. Based on feedback from the trainer, as well as what I observed when I visited partway through the month, we believe that Pyro's new environment and job as a ranch horse should enable him to thrive. It was bittersweet to watch Rob ride Pyro, who is the son of his late heart horse, for the first time. I'm still grieving the "loss" of Pyro every day, but seeing them together made me think he's right where he needs to be.

Starting his new life, riding fences and checking cows

8 weeks feels like a long time to bounce between the stages of grief considering the horse I'm grieving is still alive, well, and being given a chance at a happy future, but here we are. I know I struggled with him at times, and I also know it was the right choice when considering the other members of the co-op, but there's still a Pyro-sized hole in my heart these days. Hopefully, time (and happy updates showing it was the right choice for him as well) will ease that ache. 

Happy trails, buddy

Missy and Nova are well, and yes, I'm very glad to have my girls through all of this. Taking care of them is a bright spot in my day, and they bring me such joy. Missy has stepped into a gradually increasing workload with enthusiasm, and while her arthritis is definitely present, she warms up out of any stiffness/discomfort easily. 

Riding her feels like home

Scoot boots are keeping her comfy on the gravel while I avoid trapping moisture under glue-on shoes.

We've been working on our homework from the Spring National Drive with a lot of success!

Missy is the best for ponying youngsters. She never offers to kick, even if they crowd her, but she won't let them push her around either. 

I know I never gave a Pony Cup update (maybe I'll eventually get to that), but Nova has continued her development of life skills and in hand work since we returned from that adventure. We're currently working on things like standing tied in new places, standing for fly spray and picking feet loose in her stall, wearing a fly mask, and politely ponying at different gaits. (Fun fact: Nova can trot as fast as Missy canters.) We've also gotten to take a couple virtual lessons with Kate, who is teaching me how to set Nova up for long term success in her training. 

Sometimes a girl just needs to sprint (while her geriatric matron ignores her).

"Cross ties are duuuuuumb"

"Tying in the arena is ALSO duuuuumb"
(note the cavesson we've started using)

Wearing hand-me-downs. The mosquitoes have been so bad that keeping a fly mask on hasn't been an issue. She seems grateful to have them off her eyeballs.

Look how big she's getting!

Casually trotting while Missy canters

Inspecting a "new" fan

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's neigh-belline.

Nothing like a next door construction zone to use as a distraction during work 

"Tying near the doorway to be hosed off? You guessed it, ALSO DUMB."

While we practice leading in all sorts of situations and I introduce the basics of lateral work in hand to Nova, I'm paying close attention to how she is doing those tasks. Is she cutting corners and crowding my space? Is she bracing with a snarl on her face? Day by day, I'm trying to show her how nice it can be when she's respectful and willing. Hopefully by the time her mare hormones come into play, we'll have a solid foundation built for our relationship. 

Random photo of how incredibly green the pasture still is due to the amount of rain we've gotten this season. I just closed off this back acre to rest. 

As summer comes to a close, I'm settling into a new rhythm, one where I'm taking care of my mares each day, playing with them as the weather allows, and some days still venturing up the hill to help at Windsor in exchange for access to the facility. It's peaceful, despite the lingering heartache. 

Comments

Popular Posts